09 September 2008

just let go

The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.
Buddha


I've had a lot of thinking to do lately... a big decision to make. I knew all along the choice I would make but I was anxious and apprehensive. I realized I was doing two things I shouldn't. I was mourning for the past year and considering it "lost". At the same time I was thinking of the troubles I expect to experience next year. Despite knowing I was making the right choice for the long run, these are the things I was thinking. Then this quote popped into my head. I realized instead of mourning, instead of thinking of the things left behind, I should be grateful for them and just simply remember them. They've brought me where I am today. I've really, really started discovering me, and I should remember this time, this place and this life as being major contributors to that.

Similarly, instead of anticipating what the future will bring, I have to let it simply happen. My expectations will most definitely not be met or, because my mentality going into the immediate future might carry a slightly negative load, they will be a self-fulfilling prophesy. So I have to let go of those expectations, but remain focused on things positively.

It was the moment I made this realization today, when this quote from Buddha tapped me on the shoulder, that I suddenly and without resistance, let go. I detached myself from the past and stopped craning my neck to see the future. I am where I am. I have made my decision.

And I am content with it all. My worries over this decision are gone.

Namaste,
Jenny

No comments: